Previous Deer Designers

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Mixed Media Fun!


Hello fellow crafters!
 Here is my card for this week;
 
For my second guest designer blog appearance, I thought I would share a mixed media card I made recently!  So much fun getting messy and seeing the project evolve before my eyes!

I just LOVE my Faber Castell gelatos and this was a great project to use the colourful BRIGHT collection. 
I started off by using a piece of cardstock that I had previously printed on using my Gelli Plate (would you like to see a post about this?? Love my gelli plate!).


Using Dina Wakley’s Organic shapes mask and stencil, I secured this to the top left corner of the card and applied a thick coat of Jo Sonja’s texture paste.


Once the tape is removed and the paste dry, I painted the remaining area of the card with Faber Castell gesso.  I used the white gesso here, but you could use clear gesso if you want more of the background to be seen.  Gesso assists in helping a smooth application of the gelatos, especially as I will be  using water with them.  I also love the background look, kind of a chalky washed out look on the red gelli printed background.


I then got out my new, yummy Faber Castell gelatos – Bright collection.  The colours I chose for this card were Bubblegum, Lemon, Lime and Snow Cone (sounds good enough to eat don’t they!)

 

I applied the colours around the stencilled area. It’s good to apply quite a heavy application – this assist in getting a rich colour once spritzed with water.  I spritzed each colour and allowed it to run…I love watching the colours run over the card.

    

The Snow Cone gelato was applied to the textured stencil area and I blended this in with a wet paint brush. By applying the gelato colour over the texture paste only, the background can still be seen through this area.


Once the gelatos were dry, I over laid the card Tim Holtz’s Dot Fade stencil and used a blending tool with the distress ink Seedless Preserves.


White acrylic paint was then applied through the Tim Holtz’s Bubble stencil to give some further depth to the card.  The edges of the card were highlighted using Distress Black Soot ink and a mix of black acrylic paint and water was used with my gorgeous Chinese fan brush to create some splatters on the background.

 

Finally a quote, reading Love only grows by sharing. You can only have more for yourself by giving it away to others was printed on my home printer, cut into strips and the edges inked in black.

I hope you enjoyed this mixed media card step by step! 
You can find some of my other projects and layouts on my blog www.myscrappingspace.wordpress.com - would love for you to pop by!

1 comment: